Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Sweet and Spicy Peppers with Bulgur Wheat

So, I've been incredibly lax about posting recently (where by recently I mean 'for the last six months or more'). I'm going to try and fix that, but to be honest I'm going to fail. Still, here's a post.

Part of the reason for the lack of post is I haven't been cooking very well recently. Lack of energy. Tonight I really felt the need for a good meal, but I wanted something simple owing to aforementioned lack of energy. Here's what I came up with.

What I used



Olive oil (unspecified quantity - enough to cover the bottom of the pan)
3 sweet peppers (2 yellow, 1 red)
1 red onion
3 cloves of garlic
6 smallish tomatoes
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp powdered red chilli
1 cup durum wheat
1.5 cups water

What I did



Err. Not much really. :-)

First, the durum. This is trivial. Put 1 cup durum wheat and 1.5 cups water in a rice cooker. Press the 'on' button. Leave to cook.

I thinly sliced the onion and sweet peppers and fried them with the olive oil, garlic, sugar and salt. I started the onions a few minutes before the peppers. I coarsely chopped the tomatoes and, once the peppers were looking reasonably cooked, added them and the chilli to the mixture. I left this to cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomato reduced to a thick sauce and the peppers tasted cooked.

Conclusion



Nice, simple, effective. I'm a big fan of durum wheat at the moment - it's like cous cous, only much harder to go wrong with. It's nice for dishes that I would normally have with rice.

The peppers were very good. I think they needed frying for longer before adding the tomatoes (peppers don't cook very well in liquid), but other than that I can't think anything I would have done differently. Maybe slightly more chilli and less salt.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home