Friday, October 21, 2005

Vegetarian Mole

Yeah, I'm experimenting with the chocolate and chilli combination again. This time as a main meal. I'd recommend not telling people what's in this until after they've already finished - my dad liked it, but once he realised the flavour was chocolate he found it a bit odd.

By the way, if you're wondering why I always use red onions, it's not because of any flavour preference. Our crop of red onions was good this year while our white onions failed rather dismally.

What I used:
Sunflower oil
2 medium red onions
2 red chillis
Lots of salt
1 tsp garam masala
1/3 cup cocoa
1/4 cup treacle
About 3tbsp brown sugar
2 cans of kidney beans
Boiling water.

What I did:

This is about as embarassingly simple as you'd expect. I chopped up the onions, fried them in sunflower oil with the salt for 5 minutes. I then diced the chillis and removed most of the seeds (I needn't have bothered. I keep forgetting how unspicy these chillis are) and added these to the mix. I let it cook for another 5 minutes before adding the garam masala and cocoa. (I added a little bit of water as well to keep it moist at this point).

After a few more minutes I added the beans, stirred until the beans were thoroughly coated and then added the treacle and sugar, covered everything with water and transferred it to the oven. I cooked it there for about 30 minutes.

Conclusion:

I liked it. I will agree with the assessment that it was a bit odd, but I thought it worked. That being said, it probably won't go on my list of meals to cook on a regular basis.

It could use being a bit spicier (this is a function of the chillis I used) and to have slightly less water - I didn't think the sauce was thick enough. I served it with white rice, pan fried squash and a broccoli, chickory and sesame salad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home